FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS
1) QUESTION: May I enroll in Master’s or PhD program without TOMER document?
ANSWER: You cannot, by no means, enroll.
2) QUESTION: What should be the score of TOMER?
ANSWER: You are required to have a score of at least C1 level from Diploma Examination of TOMER Turkish Course (Article 10/a).
3) QUESTION: Do the students who graduate from a university with Turkish Education and Training need to submit the TOMER document?
ANSWER: The students who graduate from a university with full Turkish Education are not required to submit the TOMER document.
4) QUESTION: I have not got my foreign language document yet, is it possible to submit it before enrollment?
ANSWER: You can not apply for preregistration without a foreign language document.
5) QUESTION: What are the foreign language requirements for the Master’s and PhD program?
ANSWER: According to the present regulation, candidates applying for Master’s program must score at least 50 points from YDS. Candidates applying for doctorate programs must have YDS score of at least 55. In addition, scores earned in another foreign language examinations stated in the OSYM webpage may be considered equivalent to YDS (Article 15/b).
6) QUESTION: Which languages are valid in foreign language examination?
ANSWER: You can take an examination for the foreign languages stated in the OSYM webpage and the languages other than your native one (osym.gov.tr).
7) QUESTION: Do I need to take ALES exam? What should I score on ALES exam?
ANSWER: You are required to take ALES exam. However, there is no minimum score requirement. When evaluating Postgraduate Education Exam, ALES score are taken into consideration.
8) QUESTION: Are GRE and GMAT exams valid?
ANSWER: GRE and GMAT exams may be substituted for ALES.
9) QUESTION: How long is the ALES exam valid?
ANSWER: ALES scores are valid for 3 years after the test date.
10) QUESTION: What type of ALES score is used?
ANSWER: ALES quantitative score is evaluated.
11) QUESTION: I do not have certificate of equivalence. May I enroll to the Institute?
ANSWER: Yes, you can. After the exact registration, it is asked by the institute in written whether the university you graduated from is approved by the Council of Higher Education.
12) QUESTION: Is it compulsory to attend the classes?
ANSWER: Yes. In order to be allowed to take the exams, the students are required to attend 70 percent of the academic courses and 80 percent of the practices, and/or other education facilities.
13) QUESTION: How much tuition fee do I need to pay?
ANSWER: You are required to pay the contribution/educational fee determined upon the decree of the Cabinet in the beginning of each academic year (4500 TL annually, based on the current determined fee).
14) QUESTION: After the applications for admittance to postgraduate programs, do I need to take an examination?
ANSWER: Yes. You are required to take the written academic exam in the respective department you applied for.
15) QUESTION: What is special student status?
ANSWER: Special student status is for those who wish only to take courses. There is not any condition for this status. Everyone can take courses as a special student. However, special students cannot benefit from the student rights. You cannot take any document, student certificate, residence permit etc.
16) QUESTION: When and how is the special student enrollment done?
ANSWER: The special student applications are received three times in a year within the dates as announced in the Institute webpage. For application, the course registration form, obtained from the Institute, needs to be approved by the headship of the department and then the course registration fee per credits as announced by the Institute needs to be paid. The form and the receipt will be delivered to the Institute and the registration process will be finished.
17) QUESTION: Do you have a separate quota for foreign students?
ANSWER: We do not have a separate quota for foreign students. Students are accepted within the general quota.
18) QUESTION: May I apply for postgraduate programs with missing document?
ANSWER : Applications with missing document are not accepted.
19) QUESTION: How many courses do I have to take for the Master’s program with thesis and what is the time period for completion of the program?
ANSWER : You are required to take courses including at least 21 credits and to present one seminar in order to complete the Master’s program with thesis. The study period of Master’s program with thesis is 4 half year, maximum 6 half year.
19) QUESTION: How many courses do I have to take for the PhD program and what is the time period for completion of the program?
ANSWER : You are required to take courses including at least 21 credits, to present one seminar and to publish an article after enrollment in PhD in order to complete the PhD program. The study period of PhD program is 8 half year, maximum 12 half year.
20) QUESTION: What are the required documents for final enrollment?
ANSWER : You are required to submit the documents stated in the Article 17/b of the regulation.
21) QUESTION: What is the required grade-point average for the Master’s and PhD program?
ANSWER : You are required to fulfill the grade-point average stated in the Article 7/a and 7/b of the regulation.
22) QUESTION: How many times in a year are the admissions of Master’s and PhD students done?
ANSWER : The admissions of graduate students are done twice a year within the period specified in the academic calendar, as announced in the Institute webpage.